Critical Reflection

After finishing this communication module, I have learned multiple ways to improve my communication skills. Any communication can be divided into two broad categories: verbal communication and written communication. But what makes the difference between a well-performed communication where one is able to get their idea across and a poorly executed one is not just the technique but also the pre-planning involved. One such technique is critical thinking. And I’m going to start off by sharing what I have learned from using the Paul-Elder framework. Now picture myself giving a pitch to propose my idea to a board of directors. Before even starting my speech, I need to come in prepared by knowing the purpose of my proposal and being familiar with my ideas and concepts. The reason for this is that, whoever my audience is, they are likely to have far more experience in the field than I do, so the last thing I want to do is walk into the room empty-handed. Next, the Paul-Elder framework gives me the ability to look at things from a different point of view. By considering the views from both the consumer and business sides of things, I could get the right angle to land the pitch. Lastly, when I work with multiple people with different ideals and views for my technical report, it is important to keep an open mind as our ideas and viewpoints clash with one another. At the end of the day, the team doesn’t benefit from the person with the most stubborn idea, but from the person with the best idea.

 

As I move on to the verbal communication side of things, I learn that I need to address my audience in a clear and audible tone. In order to do so, I learn to observe the environment I am in. For example, when I enter the office, I will start by setting up my presentation sides to observe the size of the room, the audience, and the audience's position. With that in mind, I can better project the volume of my voice and figure out the best position in the room to give the pitch. Lastly, a mistake I have observed when I’m giving speeches is that the tone of my voice becomes monotonous as the presentation goes on. I figured out a way to counteract my monotone voice by trying to engage with my audiences from time to time. This helps to add variations to my speech while engaging the audience and preventing them from losing attention.

 

The final aspect of communication will come down to the written aspect. In the future, when I’m writing my final-year thesis paper, I'll learn to start by using the right form of citation in APA style. Because our current digital age is filled with rich information, we need to identify the most reliable source by understanding the author, publisher, and relevant dates. With the right form of citation, readers may not know where we obtain our information from if they were to fact-check with us. It could also lead to my being accused of plagiarism for failing to cite my sources.


I would like to end this off by thanking you, Professor Brad, for your guidance this trimester. I hope we can work together again in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FORMAL LETTER OF INTRODUCTION

UCS1001 MEC S15 Task 3

Summary Reader Responds Draft #3